Back in the USSR: Chocolate Sausage Revisited

Chocolate Sausage

Chocolate Sausage may sound kind of gross, especially to vulnerable creatures like vegetarians or even semi-vegetarians. But, that’s how this sort of chocolate fudge candy was called when I and my sister were kids, and it was a typical Soviet home-made candy. Every time Mom would prepare this Chocolate Sausage, it was so tantalizing for us to wait until the candy would cool! Nowadays I often think of that feeling of great, unbearable impatience, a feeling that you constantly experience when you’re a kid and gradually lose as you grow up – and last night as I put the fudge into the fridge to let it sit there overnight, I proudly thought to myself: “Good, this is my fudge candy, I’m a big girl and I can wait patiently till it cools”. Later, I popped in to the kitchen to check it three times more. Because you know, it had to be controlled.

What actually made me think of Chocolate Sausage was Pegasuslegend’s lovely post about Rocky Road Fudge Candy, which I came across on FoodBuzz. This recipe made me feel so nostalgic! I tried to recall the Soviet Chocolate Sausage recipe to compare, but of course I couldn’t, so eventually Mom fished this recipe out of her culinary archives. Of course we had to revise and adapt the recipe a little bit. Where it called for very simple, basic ingredients such as raisins (alternatively, jellies – or even leftover toffees, in the most hard-core variation) and walnuts, we decided to use dried cranberries and cashew. We thought this might also work well with papaya, but for some reason all dried papaya had disappeared from the stores that day, so we bought cranberries. Cranberries lend the candy a pleasing hint of fruity sourness.

If you ever have a bizarre idea of having a Soviet-style party, you should keep this recipe in mind. The sweet does look like a sausage!

350g hard shortbread cookies
200g butter
4 tbsp sugar
100g cashew nuts
70g dried cranberries
5 tbsp milk
2 tbsp cocoa powder
A pinch of vanilla sugar

Crush the cashew nuts into small pieces.

Cashew Nuts

Cranberries and Cashew

Crush the cookies into crumbs.

Crushed Cookies

Stir together cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla sugar, add the milk and stir until well blended and very thick.

Chocolate

Melt the butter without boiling, and stir the chocolate mixture into the butter.

Melted Butter

Next, add crushed cookies, cashew and cranberries, stir everything thoroughly until a crumbly, thick, sticky texture.

Berries, Nuts, and Cookies

Take sheets of baking paper and mould the mix into three firm medium-sized sausages.

Chocolate Sausage

Wrap them firmly in baking paper and let them cool in the fridge for 6 to 12 hours.

Chocolate Sausage

Chocolate Sausage

Serve in small batches as the candy melts quickly!

Chocolate Sausage

Chocolate Sausage

Category: Russian

Tagged: , ,

1. Sunny P says:

Hi there! I found your site thru “BlogUpp”, and i love the concept of your blog! Chocolate sausage doesn’t look strange at all…it looks delicious! i’m glad i found this, and i’m looking forward to learning more about Russian and E. European cuisine :)

sunny

2. Bludliv says:

Mmm….. Delicious!

3. OMG I remember long ago (back in USSR actually) my late grandmother tried to make it too. May be it was smth wrong with a recipe but it tasted really weird although I was only 3 back then so I don’t really remember the taste.

4. admin says:

Alexandra, I believe it greatly depends on the quality of ingredients you use as well!:)

5. Yuzefa says:

This is so delicious!!!! We make it with just graham crackers. Delish!!!

• Rafael says:

We love breakfast burtrios! Especially when we can get fresh H.E.B. tortillas. Warm the (flour) tortillas on the griddle then move them to a plate and scramble some eggs in butter on the warm griddle, sprinkle on grated cheese, and sometimes we mix in picante sauce if we’re in the mood for zippy. Place a strip of crispy bacon on a tortilla, spoon on some of the eggs, and roll up. Quick, easy & delicious.

• I appreciate you taking to time to contribute That’s very helpful.

• It was dark when I woke. This is a ray of sunshine.

• Tayo says:

I have been reading this blog for some time. Wanted to let you know that. I am a fan and enjoy your post. I see this bread it looks like it will be a fun and itetresning bread. My mother makes coconut filling bread for diwali each year and everyone in our family loves it. I think I need to spend more time next time & follow your advice.

• Wassi says:

Hi Baking Mum,Thanks for the rpicee. I didn’t know this rpicee was from Alex Goh’s book. I bought it but left if at my home in Msia.Anyway, I made the buns and it was very successful. The buns was gone once it come out from the oven. I gonna make another batch today.By the way, can I link your blog to mine?Thanks a lot.Jae from Australia.

6. Britt says:

I am so glad I found this! I’ve been looking for an easy dessert and this is exactly what I had in mind. YUM YUM.

7. Alina says:

Yuzefa, wow glad to hear you also like and make this dessert :)
    Britt, thank you!! You can also experiment with different types of dried fruit, berries, and nuts!

8. Alana says:

This sounds great, and it looks just like black pudding from Britain. I’m thinking of all kinds of fun things I could do with this to make a dessert that looks like a savory black pudding dish, but is actually sweet.

9. Galina says:

This is the yummiest dessert ever! My mom (back in Russia) used to make it only with walnuts and cookies, no cranberries. I have her recipe and made it for one of the holidays - no need to say - it was gone in seconds! Can’t wait to make this for my granddaughter when she is a little older.

10. Gucci Shoulder Bag With White…

Examples Of The Practice That Is In fact Assisting handbags-industry professionals Grow…