Sea Buckthorn Juice

Sea Buckthorn Juice in a small jar

Yesterday Ivanka finally allowed me to go veggie-shopping to the farmers’ market. She is learning to walk and she refuses to stay in her stroller for more than 15 minutes. The farmers’ market, however, is located in a 25 minutes walk from our home. She can make a few steps on her own or walk for a longer time holding my hand, but this distance is still too long for her. Besides, where would I put all my bags if not into a stroller? I missed the splendid farmers’ market so much. The small market we have across the street just doesn’t compare with it - giant carrots, stinky garlic (last year’s leftovers?) and wrinkled blueberries are some of my anti-favourites.  So I was extremely happy when Ivanka graciously allowed me to take her to that further market! We bought as much fruit and berries as I could squeeze into the baby-stroller bags.

It’s pretty amusing actually that our daughter already has her own opinion on a lot of things. She thinks, for example, that food crumbs that fall on the floor are the best delicacies ever. I just can’t stand the sight of her digging a tiny clot of yesterday’s omelet from under the stove and trying to eat it. I even started to mop the floor every other day: Sisyphean efforts, as a true foodcrumb connoisseur will always find something delicious even on a freshly cleaned floor :)

Some other things Ivanka thinks are cool include eating toilet paper, destroying flower pots and chewing shoe sponges. But of course there’re also a lot of good, and beautiful, and exciting things she likes. We were surprised to note that she prefers cats to dogs. She does like dogs, but when she sees a cat… she sings serenades, she’s in love! She loves to listen to music and dance and sing along. She loves flowers. Her favourite colour is yellow. I just think that’s so tremendous to discover her new preferences, likes and dislikes!

Sea Buckthorn

The sea buckthorns that I bought at the farmers’ market are also yellow. So I hope Ivanka will enjoy the juice. I plan to make a few jars of concentrated sea buckthorn juice for winter - the oily and acidic juice rich in vitamins C and E is a true elixir for the skin and hair. I think that wild blueberry and sea buckthorn are two of the most healthful and nutritious berries that grow here in Latvia. This variety of sea buckthorn has larger, juicier berries than the wild one; each berry is filled with turbid, oily, astringent liquid that need to be be mixed with generous amounts of sugar and water to become edible (drinkable?).

Sea Buckthorn Berries

I’m not going to call this a recipe, but my suggestion is to use almost equal amounts of berries and sugar for a concentrated juice. Just a little bit less sugar - like minus 1 tablespoon for each 1/2 cup. A good idea is to dissolve sugar in a small amount of warm water before adding it to berries. I mash berries and put them through a sieve to get rid of skins and seeds. Then combine them with sugar - and that’s it. Note that this is a very strong and thick juice that just makes you gasp as you drink it. It’s an elixir, don’t forget.  So of course you will need to add water - I find the 1:4 proportion pretty perfect (1 part juice and 4 parts water).

Now I wonder if these berries are available in your country?

Sea Buckthorn Juice in a small jar

Sea Buckthorn Juice in a small jar

Category: Latvian, Russian

Tagged: , ,

1. morgan says:

wow i’ve never heard of anyone drinking it, though i love it for skin. FYI, potable = drinkable

2. Amanda says:

never seen it before here! (maybe I just didn’t pay attention to it) ;D

3. myFudo says:

I’ve never drank this juice but it really looks good.

4. Katie says:

That’s so cool - I’d never heard of sea buckthorn before! I love discovering new foods, but I don’t think we have them in the U.S. It’s so cute that Ivanka is discovering her own likes and dislikes!

• LA TANYA says:

Katie… i know this was last year when you wrote this reply but i have been looking for the Sea Buckthorn…
      I was going to grow some plants they are $19 Online… But I did find the juice not sure where you live I live in Los Angeles and today i was out shopping & running errands and happen to see a Lil Russian & Middle East Grocery Store (Iranian/ Armenian Type but mostly Russian Store owners) I guess the language is nearly the same but a lil different. So I ran my last errand and came back to the area and went into the store and I said my HEllo’s as I looked around. Walking around back and forth but studying the products they had I know they probably was wondering why i was in the store because I am Black American Woman age 50 look in my late 30’s…. So I asked my first question if they had a seasoning called Ground Sumac, the guys English was So-So, so he got the Lady manager she took me right to the spice and i pasted it twice and i thanked her so much and shock her hand and i asked if she had a business card because i will be back as she got my a business card, i walked around the corner in another isle and saw some juice looking for mango nectar and low and behold Oh My God I yelled out…. You have Sea Buckthorn Juice it was like I just won the lottery… she said yes all the time… I said thank you i know i am coming back…. thank you again for the card…. So i walked around some more before i left and found something else i had been looking for the Sliced Ginger lightly suger coated in a candy form but not…. Then i walked over to the breads and they had Baklava… Oh my God, then they had Gaata /Navook ? (i have not had it in a long time but i will go back… like a pastry made with flour, eggs, light brown sugar (very little) not sweet & butter, its folded over 3 times and baked and cut in a right angle…. GOOD!!!! I bought the sea Buckthorn nectar, it was strong, the after taste is like it can be a wine ;-) I will use it tomorrow morning as a smoothie with my strawberries, banana, coconut water, and Vanilla Carnation Instant breakfast powder, the had my pickled asparagus… And some grreat looking meats… i am going back to the Russian store they will be getting my business, ASAP… So Try The International Market people of other regions of different parts of the world you would be surprised what they have in their stores i may and try to hit an Asian store to see if they carry the Sea Buckthorn since it is from Chinese Tibet maybe a Chinese Grocer may store it in Downtown Los Angeles…. i am checking soon… I really hopes that this lil adventure of mines today helps you i am still so very excited…

• Miriele says:

This is a great face cream and moisturizer. The oily skin and a great thing that woerirs is that face creams make skin more oily. This cream is effective for this type skim.

• I had no idea how to approach this before-now I’m locked and loaded.

5. We love rare kind of foods and beverages. This buckthorn thing will certainly add up to my list.

• Salafy says:

Babies need visual stuialmtion in their first year. This is a gorgeous room, but where are all of the baby’ things that will help develop the child’s cognative skills? There’s a reason why baby things are bright, movable, and with sound it all helps with their development. This is an adult’s room where they stick the kid.

6. I’ve never even heard of these berries! I’m sure it was an amazing treat to go back to a farmers market. Your stories of Ivanka are hilarious - perhaps the cleaning will need to become even more frequent! :)

7. Dina says:

interesting! i had heard of sea buckthorn before but never knew how it was used. thanks for sharing!

8. beti says:

it sounds interesting but it looks really good!

9. this looks wonderful following your tweets @torviewtor

10. Anne says:

I drink the pure seabuckthorn juice..it is very sour, but is doing wonders for my body internally and doing amazing things for my skin..my skin has a beautiful sheen now whereas before it looked dull also the skin looks tighter and more youthful , I am over fifty…I will never stop using it as long as I cn get it..it is very expensive to drink an ounce 2 times a day..

• Nadia says:

Anne, where do you live? I am dying to get fresh sea buckthorn here in the US(Massachusetts). The only thing available is just juice in jars in some Russian markets.
      Sea backthorn is a very useful plant, the berries are highly medicinal. In America they are considered just ornamental or food for your backyard birds.

11. Anand says:

One thing i know that seabuckthorn is somewhat exotic in Western countries, for us Mongolians it is a staple juice for the winter, when its -40C outside and it does miracles when someone is sick with flu or cold. Also it grows in wild in Mongolia so it is not that expensive, maybe if you search online you might find Mongolian juice concentrate really cheap.

• nomin says:

hi Anand, that is true in our country sea buckthorn juice is just awesome and fresh. you guys can buy that only in winter time. i wish we could import to USA.

• Alexa says:

I am an Interior Designer and love when people do non-traditional baby nsureries. We did ours in grays, golds and purples and people always had weird reactions to our grey walls. Baby nsureries dont have to look like a box of crayolas exploded. This nursery is beautiful!!

• usa last says:

Grade A stuff. I’m unquestionably in your debt.

12. Nadia says:

Alina, thank you for this post. It reminded me of those days of my childhood in Siberia when mama used to make sea buckthorn kissel in winter. I was overfed with it at that time, but now have a terrible craving.

13. My mama used to make sea buckthorn kissel in winter back in Belarus. Simply a healthy treat.

14. Jarkko says:

I prefer sea buckthorn as it is or as a raw juice, a strong and good taste.
    In Finland juice seems to be available at least in a bigger stores and a farmers market.