Slovak Bread Fondue

Slovak Bread Fondue
As soon as I saw this recipe I knew Stano would love it. There was a lot of cheese and a lot of bread in it, and bacon and spring onions - and it was baked (his second favourite after fried)! So I made it on a Saturday while the children were sleeping, and we even managed to watch about 1/5 of The Artist while munching on this delicious and flavourful fondue. Then the kids woke up and the same old story began… it took us 3 evenings to watch the entire movie!

And yes, you read right - there’re now four of us! Our little Milena was born in late April, she is a Dragon by Chinese horoscope (which I think is pretty cool), she has dark hair and is a little copy of her father - again! I was sure our second baby would look more like me, but no - she’s another tiny clone of Stano.

Milena

I’ve missed food blogging so much, so I’ll try to post new recipes every now and then. Not sure I’ll be able to reply to all the comments that have been added ever since though! Sorry - and a huge thankyou for your feedback, your suggestions and your questions! And here’s the recipe for this brilliant fondue cooked and served in a loaf of bread. There will be no dishes to wash after the meal, as the “spoons” are made of bread too!

Slovak Bread Fondue
Adapted from the Dobre Jedlo magazine (Nov 2011)

Serves 2-4

1 loaf of bread (we had a 350g one)
100g shredded Parmesan
100g shredded cheese like Edam
100g cream cheese like Philadelphia
300ml whipping cream
150g bacon
1/2 red or orange bell pepper
3 spring onions
Pinch of dried oregano
Salt
Olive oil

Cut off top of bread so that you have a lid for your fondue pot.
Carefully scrape out the crumb and cut it into smaller chunks. Set aside.
Making Slovak Bread Fondue (scraping out bread)
Cut bacon in small cubes and fry for 5-7 minutes until golden-brown. Transfer bacon onto a small plate and leave the fat in the frying pan.
Preheat oven to 190C.
Dice bell pepper and spring onions.
In a large mixing bowl, combine whipping cream and cheeses. Add diced pepper, onions, bacon, a pinch of salt, and oregano. Stir well.
Transfer bread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Using fat left from frying the bacon, brush bread on the outside and the inside. Pour the cheese mix into prepared bread.
making Slovak Bread Fondue
Bake for 25 minutes, then open the “lid”. Place chunks of bread we have scraped out onto the baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Return baking sheet in the oven and bake the fondue and the “spoons” for another 10-15 minutes.
Making Slovak Bread Fondue
Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and serve!
Slovak Bread Fondue
Slovak Bread Fondue

Category: Russian, Slovak

Tagged: , ,

1. Lorraine says:

Congratulations! So precious is your dear Milena! :)

Thank you Lorraine!! She’s such a quiet, calm baby, she helps us a lot by being so calm :-)

2. Nathalie says:

Congratulations. I was actually wondering why you weren’t posting lately!

Thank you Nathalie! Yeah I’ve been pretty busy with the children + my other website! I really hope I’ll start posting again!

3. CitricSugar says:

This looks so delicious!!

Congrats on the new addition - that’s wonderful news. :-)

4. ping says:

Hi Alina. I can see you’ve been busy …. 2 babies!? Congrats! I’ve missed your regular postings. I love this fondue in a bread! And the picture is droolicious! Aww … you little baby is camera shy … even covering her face with her back turned :D

5. Amanda says:

You’re back! That looks super-yummy, and congratulations to you and Stano!

6. Yuliya says:

So excited to have you back! And congrats on your new addition to the family!! looking forward to new posts!

7. Julia says:

This looks delicious! I am Russian, too. Look forward to browsing more of your site!

8. Laura Woods says:

Hi Alina,
    Does the mixture thicken as it bakes in the oven? Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

9. Thomas Strome says:

The perfect meal for this day. It’s actually raining now and after seeing this one I am wondering if I can also make this bread fondue. Thanks for this one, I’ll share a picture after I’m done with it. Find the best wholesale Bakery.

10. Ozell Schwertfeger says:

The terms “bell pepper”, “pepper” or in Australia and New Zealand “capsicum”, are often used for any of the large bell shaped fruits, regardless of their color. In British English, the fruit is simply referred to as a “pepper”, or additionally by color (as in the term “green pepper”, for example), whereas in many Commonwealth of Nations countries, such as India, Canada, and Malaysia, they are called “bell peppers”.,

My personal web-site

11. innoneLox says:

エアベッドのマットレスは非常に膨らませてすることができますマットレスのタイプです調整可能な日陰の方法を通じてはり)に巻きついたり、或は桷消費者へのためにフォーマル アウトレット校正:野口英司追加された新鮮なコンセントに考える中で励起 ただ間違いなく合成プロセスではなく10ポンドは0ドルについてゲスト当たりキャンディーの価格を構築しpolo rugby Principalfashionはすべて過去のシーズンから人気デザイナーブランドの洋服のアイテムだけでなく、新たなコレクションからのベストを持っていますそしてオレンジタンゴとして撮影;ラルフローレン ポロシャツ 子供今年は特定しかしカラフルなランニングシューズです。 しかし最も重要なの一つ直ちに緊張を緩和しラルフローレン ポニーこのような苦悩のシャツ95人が最大の空気、美しい形、流暢なライン、フォームと大胆な蛍光緑になっている、そのような高い価格を持っている理由署名の価格の数 カルゴンイギリス、アイルランドの軟水広告と他のヨーロッパ諸国でもっぱら洗浄で衣類に破壊から洗濯機を保存するのではなく、任意の利点に基づいて製品の宣伝、販売されている製品がでているものと同じですが、 米国ラルフローレン 店舗 アウトレット

12. Rosetta says:

Months of physical therapy had previously had very little impact.

three times, use your hands to move the energy in three motions from the air
    into the written intention with your hand.
    The most fascinating thing about distance energy channeling is that it works.