Lemon Polenta Apricot Cookies via 6Bittersweets

Lemon Polenta Apricot Cookies

“No more expensive foods until the end of the month”, I said to myself after receiving my January bills. I just wasn’t prepared to pay TWICE as much for things like central heating and water; seems like someone’s prosperity is improving in the new year, huh. Then I sat down and started to ponder what those expensive foods of our daily menu could be. I couldn’t think of any luxury foods I had recently bought - dried dates sounded like the most decadent of my latest purchases. It’s just that in a country with 22% VAT, everything is freaking expensive. So I headed off to the supermarket and bought potatoes, cornmeal, oatmeal, some butter (certainly we will have to cut down on that next month, haha) and other staples like milk and flour. If they raise VAT to 23%, we’ll have to rename our blog to “Creative Cooking with Potatoes” or something like that.

Anyway. If you like cornmeal as much as me, and even if you don’t have to think of 10 next ways to cook polenta because your family budget is staggering, you MUST make these cookies. I found them on a blog called 6 Bittersweets - it’s so beautiful and inspiring and fresh, I just can’t take my eyes off those stunning food photos. Xiaolu adapted the recipe from Bon Appetit, and I adapted it from her blog, substituting finely diced dried apricots for cranberries just because that’s what I had at hand. I think I’ll bake polenta cookies again for my birthday, and make both cranberry and apricot versions. They’re so yellow, crumbly, homeopathically salty, and noticeably lemony even though there’s just one teaspoon of fresh lemon zest in the dough. The smell of baking polenta cookies will make your home a million times cozier than the most expensive furniture would do. And with remaining egg whites, I made a small batch of tiny raspberry jam meringues, so we had enough sweets for all weekend.

Oh and it’s snowing again today, all day. How sweet :-/ I decided that no matter what,  we have our own micro spring in our home. I’m terrible at growing flowers, but luckily I have a good relationship with bulbous plants, so I’m going to buy more hyacinths and, hopefully, crocuses.

Lemon Polenta Cranberry Cookie recipe at 6Bittersweets

Pink Hyacinth

Category: Beyond Eastern Europe

Tagged: , , ,

1. Oh these look great! I’m so glad they turned out well for you XD.

2. Hi Alina,
    These look great.I have never heard polenta in cookies..sounds wonderful!
    Regarding your query..I have not made these crisps with ap flour so wont be able to give you an idea.You know baking can be tricky without measurements & I dun want to give approximations.I am sending you a link of Martha Stewart recipe on twitter which I googled.I hope it will help you and your husband will like them.

Thank you so much Tanvi! I’m hoping to try the MS recipe next weekend - this weekend I’ll be baking a large cake or something like that for my birthday. I’ll let you know how it goes!

• Rana says:

Hehe ja er den ikke fin :-)jeg blev ogse5 vildt glad da jeg fik den, da den fe5r et smil frem pe5 le6berne!Sofie: Hehe, det ge5r skam nok. Jeg fe5r dem farvet ca. hver anden me5ned hos en kstoemolog. Men jeg har ne6sten helt sorte f8jenbryn og f8jenvipper af natur. Men for at fremhe6ve dem lidt bruger jeg en f8jenbrynstegner fra Rimmel. Den koster vist omkring 75 kr. mener jeg? Og se5 har jeg farven brun, da sort vil blive alt for dramatisk. He5ber at du kan bruge det til lidt? Ellers se5 me5 du endelig spf8rge./Isabella

• click here says:

Holy shiznit, this is so cool thank you.

• This is way more helpful than anything else I’ve looked at.

• Zifara says:

Hehe ja er den ikke fin :-)jeg blev ogse5 vildt glad da jeg fik den, da den fe5r et smil frem pe5 le6berne!Sofie: Hehe, det ge5r skam nok. Jeg fe5r dem farvet ca. hver anden me5ned hos en ktooemolsg. Men jeg har ne6sten helt sorte f8jenbryn og f8jenvipper af natur. Men for at fremhe6ve dem lidt bruger jeg en f8jenbrynstegner fra Rimmel. Den koster vist omkring 75 kr. mener jeg? Og se5 har jeg farven brun, da sort vil blive alt for dramatisk. He5ber at du kan bruge det til lidt? Ellers se5 me5 du endelig spf8rge./Isabella

• Fausto says:

I do need to see that. It’s directed by one of my foravite people.I’ve been wanting to watch Birth again, but thought it would upset me if it was too soon. I think I’m ready for it now, though. And Truly Madly Deeply, one of my foravite movies of all time. It’s the first movie I wanted to see after Kim died, and I think I could have handled it (meaning I don’t think it would have made me any worse). The main reason I didn’t want to allow myself watch it then is because it IS such a foravite of mine (and was a foravite of my mother’s, too) that I didn’t want to watch it in the midst of the darkest period of my grief because then I’d associate it with that time forever. And it’s a sweet movie, one that I watched more than once with both Mom and Kim. I’d rather it bring back fond memories of THOSE times. (Years ago, when I got my first DVD player, my mom gave me DVDs of my five foravite movies for my birthday, and Truly Madly Deeply was one of the ones she got me.) I think I’m finally at a point where I could watch it and see sweetness and hope and remember the happiness I felt when I saw it with them instead of only focussing on the sadness.

• Pour ma part, j’enverrais les photos des bombardement d’Hiroshima et de Nagasaki, des camps de ma mort de la seconde guerre mondiale, et de toutes les atricités que les hommes ont commis à travers le peu de temps qu’ils ont été présents dans cet univers. Puis j’y ajouterais des symphonies de Mozart, de Beethoven, le requiem de Fauré, les Gloria de Vivaldi, les nocturnes de Chopin, le clavier bien tempéré de Bach, le sacre du printemps de Stravinski et les années de pèlerinage de Liszt. La musique est un langage universel

• Otan haasteen vastaan! Ja kunnianhimoisesti heti ajattelin, että neulon yhden yksilön ensin tytölleni ja sitten vielä kummitytölle joulupakettiin. Mutta katsotaan nyt, kuinka innostun :). Kiitos haastamisesta ja ohjeesta, lukasin sen läpi, eikä kovin vaikealta kuulosta. Mutta ei se vaikeus, mutta jostakin syystä tahtoo aina neulomukset jäädä kesken. Jospa tämä olisi poikkeus. Täytynee tunnustaa tähän haasteeseen osallistuminen myös oman blogin puolella, niin kun se on julkista, on tultava myös valmista!Ja hei, laitappa myös joku hyvä pipon ohje, jos sinulla semmoinen on. Tässä neulomisvimmassa (mitäänhän ei ole vielä aloitettu :D) täytynee semmoisiakin tehtailla pukinkonttiin!

3. 財布 メンズ ランキング

• Shubhajit says:

Hej Isabella, Det er nok et lidt malplaceret sted at spf8rge, men hvadron styler du dine f8jenbryn? Jeg synes virkelig, at de har en flot farve, men jeg har ikke kunnet finde frem til det i dine e6ldre makeup posts. Kan du forte6lle mig, hvad du bruger, me6rke, farve? :-)- Sofie

• Mrr says:

You make a good point- I should be using the brlloogl of sites I like, and the comments there. The problem is that I subscribe to feed via Google Reader, which means I rarely visit on-site unless I want to comment (and then I get the rest of the comments via email!)Maybe I should go back to bookmarking and visiting actual sites? Esp. since everyone spends so much time crafting the visuals of the site; I’m losing out on the experience, so to speak, when I get the RSS version.I’m a vocab geek. As in, sometimes I like to just page through the dictionary and call out words and definitions that I think are funny/interesting/sound like dirty words. My family finds this not as enjoyable as I do.

4. And that can suggest $50, $a hundred or far more in misplaced personal savings
    ヴィヴィアンウエストウッド バッグ http://www.victoryitclub.com/japan/vivi02.html/

5. シャネル バッグ キャビアスキン ココマーク 復刻トートバッグ…

Idea 2 ~ Eat. Pack a bit of fruit, nuts, raisins or another quick snacks to possess readily available any time you operate beyond food breaks. A thing you can easily get quick as an alternative to donuts, candy or speedy meals in the vending device….

6. blå canada goose jakkeblå canada goose jakkecanada goose jakke tilbudcanada goose jakke tilbudcanada goose jakke herrecanada goose jakke herrevaske canada goose jakkevaske canada goose jakkecanada goose ektecanada goose ektecanada goose jakke salgcanada goose jakke salgcanada goose homepagecanada goose homepagecanada goose youthcanada goose youthcanada goose modellercanada goose modellerparajumper sommerjakkeparajumper sommerjakkeparajumpers vs canada gooseparajumpers vs canada gooseparajumpers saleparajumpers saleparajumpers nettbutikkparajumpers nettbutikkparajumper kodiak womenparajumper kodiak women
    parajumpers kvinner http://www.ellebasic.no/parajumper.html/

7. An essential double sprain on shoes
    クーポングッチ gucci gg柄ストール 男女兼用 ウール70%xシルク30% ダークグレー 2580364g9301100 数量限定,格安クリスマス 売れ筋 http://www.riversideimc.com/bosnian/lvqobeic/onflmasl/bags-vhtqovgs.html